Dear parents, HFMD (Hand, Foot and Mouth Disease) is spreading across Malaysia now. We strongly urge parents to take precautions, pay attention to your infants and children and avoid bringing them to public or crowded places.
What is HFMD?
It’s an infectious disease among infants and children under the age of 5 (although some older children can also be infected). It’s caused by a group of viruses which can lead to serious illnesses among infants and children.
HFMD is transmitted from a person to another by direct contact through virus-contaminated hands or surfaces. It’s usually spread through direct contact with nose and throat discharge, saliva, fluid from blisters and stool of the infected child.
Symptoms include fever, poor appetite, non-itchy skin rash and often a sore throat. This is then followed by painful ulcers in the mouth, throat and tongue, rash or small blisters on the palms of hands.
It can lead to serious illnesses such as fatigue, vomiting, high fever, breathing heavily or strong palpitations of the heart.
However, some may show no symptoms at all but it is still possible to transmit the virus to others.
What to do in the event that your child is infected with HFMD?
There’s no specific medication or vaccine to treat HFMD. The management of the illness is mainly through symptomatic relief from pains and fever.
It is important to ensure your child drinks plenty of water to avoid dehydration.
How can you help reduce the spread of HFMD?
1. Parents to be alert and equipped yourself with knowledges on HFMD.
2. Look out for the symptoms and consult a doctor immediately when your infant or child is unwell.
3. Avoid bringing your infants or children to public or crowded places.
4. Disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces such as toys and door knobs to keep the virus from spreading.
5. Always wash your hands often and thoroughly with soap or hand wash before touching your infants and children.
6. Avoid close contact such as kissing, hugging or sharing eating utensils or cups with people who have HMFD.
Relevant products to help protect your baby
All Suzuran Baby products are sterilized and antibacterial which can help protect your baby from unwanted germs and bacteria.
1. Suzuran Baby Wet Cleaning Cotton – to keep your baby’s oral, face and hands clean
2. Suzuran Baby Gauze Glove – to avoid letting your baby put their hands into their mouth.
3. Suzuran Baby Antibacterial Dry Cotton – to keep your baby’s booty clean after poop and pee.